Monday, June 9, 2008

Stings and Stuff

POOOORRRRRR Ethan! He loves to be outside, but that bite him today....literally. I was in the kitchen and he was on the back deck. All the sudden I hear shrilling, LOUD crying/screaming! As all the horrors run through my head of what I might find. I go out to find him standing there frozen clenching his hands and SCREAMING. Automatically I KNOW. I gather him up and run in the house, but now what? What do you do for bee stings???????????

GOOGLE! I type with one hand while kissing him on the cheek and trying to calm him. I got so many ideas....mustard???vinegar, honey???? OK all those things were so random and weird, so what does any newish parent do when in doubt? That's right, call your mom who somehow knows everything.

What was even better than that, my mom just had happened to have her visiting "nurse" friend over!! So they told me exactly what to do. Thank goodness there was no stinger to pull out. I just dipped his hand under cold water and then let it soak in vinegar. You can't really tell which finger it is, thanks to fat toddler hands, but it's his ring finger :)


Ethan was a very very good patient! He just sat on my kitchen counter quietly looking so pitiful with BIG alligator tears still there to remind of the incident.....his little hand in the soaking bowl. He didn't move. It must have felt good. Then I gave him some benedryl and we snuggled on the couch and watched the Ellen show. SHE IS SOOO FUNNY!

He is now sound asleep in his bed, poor thing! He is the first in our family to experience the bad side of summer and the great outdoors.....

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Awww poor Ethan :(...Give him lot of kisses.

Amanda B. said...

Oh, the poor thing.... that is just awful! Luckily, we haven't had to deal with that yet. I hope he is okay and heals quickly!

Valarie said...

Poor little guy! Bee stings HURT!! Grandmas always do know what to do, don't they?? :)
I finally posted something new on my blog and I put pics of the cupcakes that I did for Alaina's birthday.