Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Ouch! Those are NOT bees

Today Ethan went and got his shoes and wanted to go outside. I was glad because it showed that he wasn't "scared for life" of our backyard after yesterday's bad experience!

So we velcro'd up and out he went. I watched him walk to the edge of our deck. He looked at something to the left on the deck steps. LIGHT BULB...he's was standing at the very spot I found him screaming yesterday! He continued down and I walked over to the that spot......OH MY GASH, I'm NOT an expert, but these are look like a.........WASP!!!! Wasp Wasp Wasp, that's four!
No wonder there looked like there were two bites and he was in so much pain, poor thing!

6 comments:

Melissa said...

okay...i guess I have never seen a wasp before... we must not have them here. But seriousl!? Those a freakin' huge! OUCH!

Stephanie said...

I am getting the chills just looking at them. They look like yellow jackets, but I am not an expert...ooo chills and shivers :)...I would definitely look into a big can of wasp/bee killer...Welcome to Texas :). It's a good thing you don't have a pool in your backyard b/c they love the pool! Seriously, they loved our pool in Florida. We were fighting them off daily! Something to think about though.

Valarie said...

Yeah, definitely wasps. We have the exact same kind here. If you haven't already, you should spray the nest to get rid of them, then you need to knock it down or other wasps will just take up residence there. Poor guy.

Valarie said...

P.S. Yes, that is ALL icing on the cupcakes I did. I used Wilton icing tips to do the heads and the hair (and everything else).

Amy Jane said...

awww, give ethan a big kiss from his aunt amy!!! poor guy!

Kelly said...

I am having heart palpitations right now- I was not prepared for that image of the nest- I am deathly afraid of any kind of bees, and I am seriously sweating right now! Keep away from that nest until dark, then spray till you can't spray anymore and they will not only die, but won't come to that spot again! Bee spray is wonderful!
I long for the day when bees don't exist- in my world, for sure!