Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Honesty about LOVE and ACCEPTANCE

I think that part of this life is learning to love those that are different. There is a reason for everything. There is reason why there is a little boy in my primary class that builds a chair wall around himself every Sunday.

I am the primary chorister in my ward. The primary president called to explain some of the children in our ward that have special needs. I had noticed this before. Some it was all too obvious and I felt the automatic love and sympathy for them. But then she started talking about this other child whom has this disorder that causes him to go in the corner of the primary room and put chairs all around himself and hide.

The first Sunday I saw this I thought, "WHY doesn't his teacher come a get him? How is he aloud to sit on the floor under a chair?" So know as the president is telling me a LABEL, I all the suddenly felt the love and understanding for this little boy, I should have felt automatically! I was feeling very bad and the thought popped in my head, why did I wait for her to tell me a LABEL. There is a reason for everything and I need to assume this much quicker and find love and patience quicker!!

It seems like we love labels-we love them because it explains our differences. I asked my self , what does this have to do with me knowing what was wrong with him? Why didn't I automatically feel "sorry" and love towards him. I guess I can blame it on our society that we judge until we KNOW what is wrong.

It does feel better to KNOW what is wrong with us....a diagnosis of cancer, or thyroid, or obsessive compulsive, or ADHD. But maybe in the meantime...I little more love and compassion!

But I know I need to work on feeling more compassion and love for all people before we know....because all of us are struggling through this life...some more than others....

This is in part response to a friend's post on homosexuality. I agree with her on the point that I do not believe in PRACTICING homosexuality. I think we need to be careful how we teach our children this point. My parents would always say, "Just feel sorry for them" This was good advice. But I honestly have to admit that when I was in my teens...I would look at smokers, drinkers, homosexuals, and think that they were bad, it went beyond their behavior.

The point is...we (I) need to learn to love my neighbor as my brother. As Jesus taught so long ago in the be-attitudes. This means loving them even if they are strange or sick or mean or different. In my adult life I have learned a lot more empathy,but I still have a long ways to go....

2 comments:

Valarie said...

As a mom of a child with a "label" I wish more people would try to be compassionate. I think that everytime I see a mom being scoffed at in the store because her child is throwing a temper tantrum. People always assume that is because she is a bad mom who has a bad child when, a good majority of the time, that isn't the case at all. I have a friend who has a child with autism and they can't go out to dinner as a family because they are worried that people will be bothered by the things her son does. I wish more people would start to see that the world isn't just black and white.

Amanda B. said...

I agree completely. It can be hard to love people despite the fact they are different. Some are "different" because of something "wrong" or just "different" in their make up. (Such as a disorder, or disease or something.) Others are different because they choose other lifestyles which we may or may not agree with. However, they are all God's children and deserve our love regardless. Those with a disorder or disease probably need that love even more because of all the negativity out there- it has to be so hard to cope with. Interesting thoughts! Thanks for posting!