Sunday, June 22, 2008

Home Improvement Aint Pretty!!

Scrubbing off all the grim
Painting the trim, before I get the roller out
No more oak....this is the primer
So as many of you know, the last thing on our immediate list to do for our home improvement was re-face or paint the cabinets...I had a painter come give me a quote. To sand, prime, and paint them is was going to be $2000.(That's wasn't to faux glaze them) At the time(4 months ago) we had the money in the budget. Then I met Tiffany. She is my neighbor that is practically perfect in every way. She is kind, she gives people the benefit of the doubt and she makes amazing chocolate chip cookies. I walked into her kitchen and saw that she had painted her cabinets off-white, the same I wanted to do (before I glazed them). I explained that we were paying someone to do it to which she said, "OH, it's not that bad, I wouldn't pay someone to do it..." Well, if she could do it, I can do it right???
OK you know how AFTER your pregnant for about a couple years...memory fades and you THINK you could even do that again. Well, this is my conclusion too. That she just didn't Remember how much work it was!


I AM GOING CRAZY and I am not even 1/2 done! This is what it looks like NOW:
The far right cabinets(4) have had one coat of antique white, you have to have eagle eyes to see it! The island you can see is painted walnut brown. Like the mess!

I have made progress and that's saying something I guess. But our kitchen is torn apart and we hate living in chaos, so patience and understanding is appreciated! So what have I accomplished? They are primed...and the island has been primed and has it's two coats of dark chocolate brown paint. Now all I have to do is put on the varnish. But just so I can vent about how overwhelmed I am, here is a list of what is still left to do after about 30 hours of work time already invested.

-Paint all cabinets antique white (15-18 hours)

-Re-paint cabinets antique white (15-18 hours)

-Glaze and rub, rub, and rub till your fingers fall off (15 hours)

-varnish everything (8 hours)


I literally would rather be in labor right now than the thought of finishing these bad boys!!!


********************I NEED AN EPIDURAL!!!***********************

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

They look great! You are one of the most talented people I know :). I am sorry I haven't been around. I pinched a nerve in my back and I've been lying down for a few days. I will give you a call soon :).

Allison M. said...

HGTV always makes it look so easy, but they have millions of minions to do the hard work. Your's already look good and I'm sure they will look fantastic once they are done. And what an accomplishment. Hang in there! We sure miss you guys!

Kelly said...

They look great so far!! I love that you tackled such a daunting project- I just am in awe! That is amazing!

Rachel H said...

Aaauggghh! Good for you Crazy lady!! It feels crazy while you're doing it but you will LOVE it so much! I am loving it so much already... and the brown island is a great idea. SO cute! I can't wait for the glazey part too- that's really what will make it pop. It's AWESOME! You just need a cheerleader while you do it! GOOOO LISA! =) P.s. I think the epidural might slow you a tad.

Valarie said...

You'd rather be in labor...HA! I remember you in labor. You would only rather be in labor because it has been so long you have forgotten how hard THAT is!! :) At least progress is being made. I am sure it will look FABULOUS when you are done. And, it will be so much more fun when people come into your home and tell you how amazing your kitchen looks and you can say "Yeah, well. I did it MYSELF!"

Jennifer Woodbury said...

You are a braver woman than I am! I'm sure it will look awesome when it's done and then you can go spend some of the money you saved on a nice spa vacation or something!

Amy Jane said...

all i can say is wow! even with just the primer they look great!! your kitchen is going to be fabulous darling!!

Amanda B. said...

ahhh...yes, there are definitely times when the random epidural would be nice. Your work is looking good though! Hang in there- I also hate it when things are in chaos. But, I don't doubt they will be awesome when finished. I look forward to the pictures!