Thursday, April 17, 2008

The quest for the perfect cabinet, No shows, and Visitations from wealthy winged thingys

These are the instructions I found online...what do you think....Think I can do it?

Here are the steps I have done so far (with pictures):1. Sand the varnish off doors-We are using an electric sander. It doesn't have to be stripped down to the bare wood just take off the shine. Hand sanding was done in the crevices. 80 grit was used.2. Prime the surface with two coats of primer(coat front and back of door). I am using sponge brushes(no brush strokes)3. Paint base coat with ivory paint /egg shell finish. Two coats using sponge brush and small roller.4. Once dry, wet sand with 400 grit. Wear away paint at the corners. WetSanding gives a really smooth surface.5. With a small sponge brush apply water based stain. I used minwax American walnut. While wet wipe off stain with paper towel. Than wet sand again to lighten stain more and get rid of streaks. Leave the stain a bit darker in corners and crevices. 6. Varnish with satin polyurethane.

Then they look like this...which I can't take credit for...these are done by a wonderful artist out of Florida named Cindy Hess .

I know you traditionally are supposed to blog about stuff oyu already have completed but Im finding trouble in motivaiton to if I shout out to the world that....

I AM GOING TO PAINT MY CABINETS>>>

*************************Maybe just maybe it will happen.

So what else is new, well lets see I planned a play group for my new ward and I had a great turn out my best ever.....

ME AND ETHAN.

Hmmm, what happened? Do I stink, did I not advertise enough? Oh well, I will be resilient and try again, I will try to remember to attend things I myself am invited to. Have you ever felt that way. Like I was not that good at attending church activities until I had that calling and once I found out how much work goes into it....you start thinking twice about if you start to contemplate having a lazy day and staying home instead of going to whatever prospective activity.

So also, the toothy fairy came and went. The tooth fairy was VERY VERY good to Ryan. The tooth fairy FORGOT to go get change and the tooth fairy forgot until 6 a.m. to the tooth fairy had two choices 1

1) give the toothless child $1 ( which was plenty, but Seth already told Ryan the tooth was worth at least $5)

2) The only other bill she had A $20

So Ryan woke up to find a whopping $20 under his pillow and he was happy of course, but this sets a BAD BAD president for all other loose teeth, future children and their children's children. At this rate of inflation Ryan's kids are gonna get $5,000 under their pillow!

7 comments:

Hillary said...

What a lucky little kid, 20 smackers!?

Sorry about your play group turnout, people must not know how fun you guys are! I was incharge of an enrichment game night group and I took the time to ask everyone when a good time would be to have this activity-2 people showed up! It is really frustrating, so I understand. You're better than me to try again!

Valarie said...

That sucks about playgroup. Next time, advertise that there will be cookies. Cookies always draw a crowd. :)
We just told Mikaily that the toothfairy pays much, MUCH better for the first tooth than for subsequent teeth and that it was up to the discretion of said fairy how much she would receive each time. That way she won't expect to get rich everytime she loses a tooth.

Kelly said...

$20?! You better hope he doesn't remember that in the future, or you will be broke! Our tooth fairy is very generous- a whole dollar for any tooth! I'd lose a tooth for $20! ha ha
Sorry about the playgroup- they just don't know that you are a fantastic playgroup hostess- it is their loss...better luck next time!
The cabinents look great!

Lindsey said...

Hey Lisa!!
It's Lindsey..i decided to make an account just so i could comment cause i love reading your posts and seeing all the pics ! Annnd i found shelly and amy's blog too. Sooo i didnt wanna be creepy just reading i wanted to start commenting haha..however i have not started blogging yet. hopefully ill find some time.

everyday katie said...

Yeah, playgroup doesn't go that well for me, either. Is it a Texas thing? There are like a thousand stay at home moms of young children in my ward, And I usually get three to show up to playgroup. what is going on? I really put myself out there to advertise and invite people and make new friends. Why doesn't anyone want to be my friend? Maybe you should drive up for my playgroup once a month. And while you're up...you can come to a 3:00am girls night out.


Ok, I would NEVER attempt the cabinets. I know I'm capable, but I also know I'd be burned out half way through. Maybe Ryan can hire someone to do it for you with all that extra cash he got from teh tooth fairy.

Amanda B. said...

$20 for a tooth? I like your tooth fairy much better! :) I would have just given him the $1 and said, oops- we were wrong about how much.... I would also say that he gets more for the first so not to expect it last time. Recently when Kenny lost a tooth, the tooth fairy completely forgot until Kenny came in my room the next morning all sad "The tooth fairy didn't come, mommy!" As I watch my mother of the year award fly out the window..... I felt sooooooo bad! So, the tooth fairy did give an extra big payment the next night! :)
Bummer about the playgroup....I am sure it isn't you personally because you are so much fun- good for you for the bravery to try again! :)

Shelly said...

Yeah for ryan! And i love the cabinets good luck. As for playgroup , Well can I be in your playgroup. We would have so much and we could just sit and chat and let Bekah keep the others in charge. Don't fret it takes a while for these things to catch on sometimes. I had play group at my home and nobody came!