Monday, May 12, 2008

Day One... Laundry Day

Potting Training Day One:

Well last night I spent a couple hours reading a short how-to book on potty training that I HIGHLY recommend. ThePottyTrainer.com It was a short read in one seating that told you everything you need to know about the subject. When to start, how to emotionally pre-pare yourself, how to get your child ready, and actually how to do it. So I was really ready for this morning, I have a plan

- morning party- Ryan like this part, we walked in clapping and yelling, "Yah you are a big Boy, look you get to wear underwear like Ryan!!
-No DIAPERS-this part I was scared of b/c of the mess, but I have found it to be pretty easy. Yes, he has peed his pants 3 times and pooped once, but he is always on his feet, so it was contained and he told me when it happened so we went into the bathroom and I handed his a wipe and we changed underwear.
- I set the microwave timer for every 20 min. and when the timer goes of we start to chant "Potty time potty time whoop whoop" the boys join in and we march to the potty. I turn water on, I say push pee pees out and sometimes we look at magazines.
-So far he gets of the potty, take the insert out, flushes saying "bye bye pee pee" and then I say, yah you sat on the potty and give a sticker. He likes getting to pick one out and put it on the wall poster. I just keep telling him that if he puts pee pee in the potty he gets candy...he LOVES candy

Then I help him pull up his undies and he walks away, plays for about 20 min. and I hear, "uh oh pee pee, or this morning it was uh oh poo poo" and he walks over to me

I just say, Ethan put this in the potty and hand him a wet wipe that he has to wipe himself with and then a new pair of undies.

It is 6:38 p.m. Day one and he has NOT put anything in the potty, I have 6 pairs of wet underwear, and a lot of laundry to do! But after a good pep- talk from my good friend Val I am convinced I'm doing it all right and in a day or two he WILL put something in the potty and when this day happens we are going to PARTY!!! We are gonna call grandma and AMY and we are gonna get CANDY!!!

The hard thing about potty training is not the "potty training" its like breast feeding on crack. Once you get done putting him on the potty, doing the sticker, cleaning up the subsequent mess in his pants, you have to start all over, so the dishes in the sink stack up, the house is a mess, laundry and cleaning get thrown aside, and you feel like you want to run screaming to the nearest McDonald's and apply for a job. Because a greasy hamburger pit is better any day than a day in toddler potty training!!!!

Alas, I am confident that this too will pass and in a couple weeks or so I will have a functioning life again, this time free of diapers, wipes, and messes!!! HOPE

3 comments:

Chapman Channel said...

I want to potty train Oliver!! Help!!!

Rachel H said...

Ohh, You can do it!! Good luck sweetie! I think the mama needs some serious rewards for all this effort too! Maybe some dove ice cream bars? =)

Valarie said...

I hope things are going well and you haven't lost your mind yet. :) Just stick with it!! (and don't let anyone tell you it isn't possible)