Sunday, August 31, 2008

It's a Wheat Thing

So somewhere along the way I figured out that I had wheat flour, not just bread flour. This is my story:

I was getting all my devilish ingredients out to make my weekly batch of chocolate chip cookies (throw your head back, evil laugh). I was ready to pull out the white store-bought flour and my hand fell on whole wheat flour. ::::::::LIGHTBULB::::::::: Whole wheat cookies! Healthy and tasty! Could it work????? Well, I was going to make a double batch so I had plenty to take to my VT, but maybe I would just make a single batch and if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out...you know! What did I have to loose other than a little time and my favorite food and the whole world, CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES, ok so I had a lot to loose, the stakes were high, but the pay-off would be great. Healthy, yet delicious was the ultimate goal!

So I slaved away for like 10 minutes. Because I have the recipe memorized after years of cookie monsterering. I noticed it took MORE flour to get the same consistency, but I kind of expected this, anyway, they baked up and then the ultimate test.....the critical mouth a.k.a. DH!


"What's different?" "I can't really taste anything? Well, maybe a little...what did you do?" "They are made with my whole wheat flour!" I exclaim. "What? You mean the stuff you use for your bread?" "YUP" "Pretty good huh?"

So they passed with flying colors. I think these whole wheat goodies might be a permanent adjustment to my cookie repertoires. Ok well, almost, can you imagine WHITE, sugar cookies....NOT white? Ok I don't think I'll take it that far...

....2 days later, fast forward to Sunday morning, or waffle morning. Home-made waffles get me out of bed. As I'm jaunting down the staires:::::::LIGHTBULB::::::: I can try them with ....ok you get the picture, HEALTHY and DELICIOUS!

They turned out delicious, almost as good as the bread with a big whip of butter slathered all over it, just add syrup! :) YUM... I think I'm on to something :)

Saturday, we "farted around" that is Cochran for "laid around and did very little"....then around 4:00 we headed to the pool. The pool water is so warm, it's almost like bath water, we LOVED IT!

4 comments:

everyday katie said...

I always want to try that, but never do. I'm glad to know it works. Now if I could just get it done without Spencer noticing. He's anti-health food.

Kelly said...

Sounds delish! I will have to try it sometime- I love cookies, so making them healthier will be so much better for me, since I never can eat just one!!

Valarie said...

Ohhhh, I have started switching my children over to eating whole wheat food(bread, tortilla, pasta) and they love it.
How awesome that you had that huge pool all to yourselves?!? Lounging around doing nothing...sounds like my kind of day. :)

Amanda B. said...

That is awesome! What I do is when I do homemade cookies/waffles/pancakes is a mix. 1/2 wheat flour and 1/2 white flour. That way, you get some of the health benefits of the wheat, with little taste variance from the white. It works great! But, hey, if they are happy with all wheat- by all means keep it up! :) That cookie looked yummy! :)