Saturday, August 7, 2010

Called to serve

Church Smile is plastered on my face as the bishop's counselor speaks, "and the new calling we have in mind for you...and we've given this a lot of thought, and we are very excited about is.....


CUB SCOUTS!....."
My church smile fades into dear in the headlights grin as my realization of what he just said....
visions of young rowdy boys,knots,and ugly brown shirts are dancing in my head.

Least to say this was the last calling I thought would "fit" me! My last calling was my perfect fit. You could call it my lid to my pot, my sail to my boat, my cup to my tea

Primary Music Leader...Loved it!! Every Sunday I sang and danced, yes danced occasionally for these beautiful children. I loved their little spirits, still love their spirits and I try to sub as often as I can...

..back to reality....so my optimist brain switches to "how bad can it be" mode. This is my about to have a baby posh job, right? Then I ring my girlfriend Jennifer who was the cub master at the time, but on her way out because she was ABOUT TO HAVE A BABY? She proceeds to tell me it was the most time consuming calling she has ever had!!!!???? And she goes, "they KNOW your pregnant, RIGHT?"

Wow, this is looking better and better by the minute. But I was not raised to be a downer about a calling. And I was raised to smile and nod and rise to the occasion! I'm not cut from the R.S. prez cloth like my mom....that is FOR SURE! But I realize where my strengths are and I think....


I think that's WHY they called me to this calling....

For example, first day cub scout camp. We gather round the cub scout flagpole preparing to do the flag ceremony. To open camp we announce that it's time for the packs to do their cheers. One by one each group of 8-10 boys about whisper their chants. What come again? How boring and quite! I don't like boring and quite!

The next day, I kinda took over. I told them it was a contest to see who had the most spirit. Ok I didn't just tell them, I yelled it at them! Then I told them if they didn't do it loud enough they would have to do it again and again! Well, that lit a fire under their butts and you should have seen their little red, strained faces shouting out these little cheers! Mamma Cubby was sooo proud!
Growing older into my 30's this is what my self-acceptance has been all about. Realizing that I am not EVER going to be the "oh, she is so on the ball" or "she is the best blank leader we have ever had" type. My strengths lie in the details. You plan it and I'll be there to accessorize and make it a great time! Are my pictures colored and laminated? Let's be honest...do they even EXIST! NO!! But what I lack in color and copy skills, I make up for in spirit and enthusiasm.
The Leaders: Jennifer Hunt (organizer, planner supremo) Donna (shopper,implementer of plans) Lisa (knot tier/spirit leader)

Come to find out though...I'm a whimper snapper at KNOTS! This is my new bumper sticker, do you like it?

2 comments:

acutely cherished said...

I have always admired your "spirt" you are a born entertainer! So talented!!!

Kelly said...

Better you than me!! I would NOT want that calling- but of course would take it if necessary- I was the "chair" person for a few months and thought I would die- it was awful! I am glad I only have one boy and he is out of cubs! I think I am exempt for a while- or at least I hope so!!
THose boys will love you!