Friday, October 3, 2008

I'm in A PICKEL!!!

So this is kinda a big thing in my life, I have not mentioned to yall.....

I STARTED WORKING!!!! What I was thinking I don't know? Do I need this, NO! I thought it would be fun because I love what I do and it would be fun to get out of the house a couple days a week....right?

Well theoretically....YES! In theory I had this ideal scenario in my head of dropping of Little Ethan at this great school where they love him like their own (this part same true!!!) and I go to my job where I get to have real adult responsibilities and gratification and talk to adults...e.t.c .e.t.c

So 3 weeks ago I started working part-time for an orthodontist near my home. I had interviewed and accepted the job two days later... the day I accepted my friend drops by (you have to know that her husband is a pedo dentist that partnered with an orthodontist) and she is "great! who are you working for?" I reply "Dr. so and so" and she get this horrid,scrunched up, scared look on her face! "OH NO!!" She proceeds to tell me that this lady had worked for her husband's partner and she (my new boss) was basically horrible and ugly to work with and had done really horrible mean things to his partner. GREAT!!!

But she had been so nice and her office was so nice so I decided to put this thought to the side and go for it, because I had found this great little school for Ethan and everything was in place.

So the first week I noticed that she was "particular" ok CONTROLLING,O.C.D., anal, exact, perfectionist.....but so far she was being somewhat pleasant in her "corrections" Due to her perfectionist status, No one can do anything great, or even good, there is something wrong with EVERYTHING and she has to make us very aware of it....so basically all day long she was ridding us.

Actually I was ok with that, b/c she was somewhat pleasant about it all and I was learning a TON.

Week two I had a small issue with the other clinician in the office, but then she went to a work training meeting about office politics and she came back all pleasant and nice, now suprsingly we have been buddies (in week three we had to stick together)

Week three: The witch has landed... the criticism is fine, I have no problem, I am open and wanting to hear how I can learn and be better....

BUT

there is a big difference between constructive criticism and accusatory, demeaning, and insulting criticism. She just started saying little disses here and there. And I took it, because that's what I do...I take people's crap. Then she pulls me in her office and insults me and it's complicated and technical, but basically saying I "wasn't thinking" is what it came down to. I defended myself thoroughly and told her I disagreed and I did what I did b/c of previous training....and I CRIED! The thing was, you would have thought I crashed her computer systems or something...

I can't sleep, eat, and I am working my butt of for this Nazi that doesn't even treat people nicely.

She has had 5 people quit on her in a year. And they didn't like give a 2 weeks notice and quit on friendly terms, they walked out the door and never came back quit. Her entire staff is less than 3 months old. (Except one girl in the front)

All of these are RED FLAGS I know! SO what do I do????? I usually am NOT a quitter unless things are really really abusive, but I things are different this time. This is not fiances. I wanted a "fun" job. I really do love working in orthodontics.

So I'm in a pickle. I have got some great advice and would love your two cents....because I don't feel like I'm thinking straight. :)

9 comments:

Jennifer Woodbury said...

Life is too short. You don't need that kind of stress in your life. Just tell her you don't think this is working out, but you'll stay for two weeks in order to give her time to find somebody else. Good luck!

Kelly said...

Amen to Jennifer's comment. You so don't need that in your life, Lisa! You are too good of a person to take that type of abuse. I would seriously turn in notice and stick it out for the notice term. I have been in a similar situation, and gave notice after only one week- and I needed the job!! Life is too short to have this type of stress- fun money is great and all- find a job at Macy's!! I would so not work there much longer- it will begin to eat you alive and take over your fun family time. No job is worth that- trust me!

Valarie said...

You are working to have fun....to get away...to spend time with adults. You don't NEED that job, so don't be there if it is going to make you miserable. In the end, it will end up wearing you down and inevitably you will end up taking it out on your family. That's what always happens!! Just look around and see what else is out there. Can your friend's husband help you find a job (or at least recommend some place) anywhere else??
I think you should just quit that job and come visit me instead. That's my two cents. :)

everyday katie said...

I concur. If you don't need the job, there's no reason to take that. Jobs like that tend to affect your home life, too. I know I would come home ahnry or in tears and my family would get the brunt of that. I'd give a two weeks notice, to be polite. But that will be hard. SHe'll be harder on you when she knows your quitting. Why can't she see what's going on? SHe's loosing employees left and right.

Stephanie said...

My old boss at OCPS was like that. She would insult me every day and made me feel incompetent.I hated my position. I did everything she could ask for and then some and it still wasn't enough. Then one day she really screwed me over with our vacations. It was kind of a long story, but it still irks me to this day. Anyway, to make a long story short, she cost us $1000+ b/c we had to cancel our trip. So, what did I do? I fought back. I took my situation above her. Needless to say, she had to apologize to me face to face...and that is so not like her. I guess, I almost cost her..her job...after that, she was totally nice to me and respected me more b/c she didn't realize what she had done...Then I got promoted to another position. My new boss then was awesome! Anyway, so my point is...I saw the sign with the "nazi" boss and I hated my job. Life is too short and added stress can affect your day. I would keep your options open and stay positive!

Amanda B. said...

RUN!!!

You are in a blessed position of not needing to work- take advantage of it by either staying at home or taking time to finding the right fit-this definitely isn't it- you deserve better!

Amy Jane said...

i like amanda's comment.... RUN!! :) lol
my big sis is too good for that!!!!!!!

Amelia said...

Hey you need to kick that boss's trash. I totally understand the need to get out and do something adult. You should ummm, take like a painting class or some creative peaceful outlet. good luck. I hate mean ladies!

Rachel H said...

I'm back from my trip and although this is probably old news I am saying AMEN to Amelia and get those boots a walkin'!
=)
Luv ya!